I Needed a Break
There was a time in my life when I decided to shut everything and everyone down, I shut down everything. The daily hustle and bustle, people around me, social media stress, and the noises in my head. I just felt I needed a break but wasn’t sure of what I would be doing during that break. I went for the break and all I did was work around the house, worship, eat, and sleep. It went on for quite a couple of days. And I began to feel very peaceful. Then I decided since I found so much peace, I should take a random journey through the verses of the Quran. On that journey, I came across ayah 165 of Surah Baqara, Which says:
And [yet], among the people are those who take other than Allah as equals [to Him]. They love them as they [should] love Allah. But those who believe are stronger in love for Allah . And if only they who have wronged would consider [that] when they see the punishment, [they will be certain] that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is severe in punishment.
Reality Hit Me
I recited the ayah over and over again, then followed the translation, and ponder over the verse. That line I highlighted hit me hard because that was my condition then, as a teenager (age of 15), I loved people so much and I make effort to please them and was worried of what they think of me, but this ayah taught me that Allah should be my only focus in this life, and a year later Allah became my only focus.
Now, this is the same mistake a lot of people are still making. They worry about what others think of them. In the process, they become heedless and worry less about what Allah thinks of them. They run after the Dunya wanting to please people, and living a fake life in the process. The truth is you can never please people no matter how hard you try. You can only achieve this by being a hypocrite, which you will be paying for the price on the day of judgment.
I made the Decision
So, after going through this verse, right then I told myself I would never worry what people think or say about me, I would only strive to please Allah and if he is pleased with me then there’s nowhere else I’d rather be. That happened and I fell so deeply in love with Allah, Allah became my best friend who always listens to me and answers me without wanting anything in return. It was a love that was free of all disappointment, misunderstanding, and heartbreak.
I felt new, and even when things people see as bad happen, I find beauty in it and I always smile, I became strong that till date nothing shakes because I know Allah is aware, and that the more Allah loves you the more he tests you, I feel so happy even when things are rough because I know it’s Allah’s love for me (His Diamond). Falling in love with Allah is the best thing that could ever happen to you, and that’s why I would be sharing ways to fall in love with Allah because it’s a feeling I want everyone else to experience.
Some ways to fall in love with Allah:
Allah’s love is exceptional and extraordinarily full of fear and hope, you know those moments when you secretly love someone? And you keep suffering because that person doesn’t even know you falling for him/her. With Allah it’s different; you get equal and even more than the love you give him. So, to increase your love for Allah:
- Look around you; count all the blessings Allah has blessed you with: e.g. you’ve been gifted with a family while others roam about on-street without families. Just think of things you have that others don’t, reflect on them, and be grateful. Also reflect and realize that those beautiful nature picture photographers’ captures were created by Allah, recognize them, reflect, and appreciate the gift.
- Increase your knowledge of Allah, you know most of the time we love people is because we know something about them, you can’t just see a total stranger on the street, someone you know nothing about and fall truly in love with them. So, learn and know about Allah even more, then it’ll be easier to love him.
- Recite and reflect over the verses of the Quran, because the Quran is a healing for the heart, and that’s why we must try getting Shifah from the Quran. The more we strengthen our relationship with the Quran the more we get closer to Allah.
- Increase the remembrance of Allah, devoting yourself to Allah through other acts of Ibadah.
- Be in the company of those who love Allah, learn from them, then their love for Allah rubs off on you because it is so easy to get influenced by our company and environment.
Allah’s love changes one’s life so beautifully, and when Allah loves you he tells the angels to love you, and Allah places the love of you in the heart of people in this Dunya, they also love and accept you naturally.
May Allah grant us ease and help us find guidance on his path.