The Building Portfolio webinar. This article is a summary of the 14gCircle community webinar for the month of August 2022. By Oluwaseun Dabiri. Which I found beneficial and thought to share.
He went straight to the point, sharing 5 actionable steps we can follow to build our portfolio and put our work Out there.
Straight Forward Steps to Build Your Portfolio
Document Your process:
- Especially for Backend developers using platforms like GitHub gist, swagger, etc.
Make an effort Write:
- Leverage tools like Hashnode, medium, etc. The more you write the more you become visible.
- Write things like solutions to problems you encountered, telling how you solved them and how to avoid them.
- Try challenging yourself also to write once a week, or once every two weeks. And be sure to share them on LinkedIn and other social platforms.
- Try to look for products to contribute. Like if a designer designs a project. Work on bringing it alive. It contributes to your Portfolio.
- Contribute to an open-source project.
- Contribute to a friend’s project.
- Search for products and contribute. On google, github etc.
Networking and community:
- This is very important, that is how you get people who speak on your behalf.
- Join a community and be active.
- Attend events: physically or virtually. Effort in attending physical events. Don’t be shy there, get to know people, and introduce yourself.
Some pieces of Advice from Questions Answered
- Whatever your level is, make an effort to still contribute.
- Your portfolio grows as your experience grows. Do not be shy, just start somewhere. Build the portfolio according to your skill set.
- To be hired as a frontend developer, most companies prefer that you are at least proficient with one frontend framework.
- Who is speaking on your behalf by Prosper Otemuyiwa
- Check out https://roadmap.sh/ to give you an idea of what you need to acquire knowledge in a particular field + resources.
Also check out my simple tips on how to learn programing. Hope you find it beneficial also.