Arrogance is a character and an attribute of the soul. It is one of the diseases of the heart that we must cure. Arrogance is simply the belief that you are superior to all others. And it is a disease that prevents you from accepting the truth. At times most of us no matter how religious we subconsciously fall for this. You can read my comprehensive Article about this spiritual disease HERE.
We Ignore our Arrogance
The pattern is the same with literally all spiritual diseases of the heart. In the sense that it is so easy for us to recognize it when someone has one. However, we fail to recognize that spiritual ailment within ourselves. We point fingers at others, we dig into others’ bad attitudes. But for some reason, we overlook our own faults and shortcomings. One thing I advise people and try to practice also is, whenever we meet anyone with a certain bad attitude. Before we begin to gossip and criticize the first thing you should do is check yourself. Do we have a similar attribute? Even if it is tiny, work on yourself then reach out to the other.
The most common causes of Arrogance are Knowledge, Worship, Wealth, Beauty, Lineage, Power, Connections, and Popularity. Allah SWT dislikes people who are arrogant and have a punishment set aside for them.
...سَأَصْرِفُ عَنْ ءَايَـٰتِىَ ٱلَّذِينَ يَتَكَبَّرُونَ فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ بِغَيْرِ ٱلْحَقِّ. "I will divert My signs from those who show arrogance without right..." [Surah Al-A'raf | Verse 146] إِنَّهُۥ لَا يُحِبُّ ٱلْمُسْتَكْبِرِينَ... "...Indeed, He does not like the arrogant." [Surah An-Nahl | Verse 23]
Some Types of Arrogance
- When you begin to see yourself as superior to others for one of the above causes. At times people with knowledge are in greater danger of arrogance than anyone else. Because the knowledge they have attained may lead them to feelings of superiority. For instance, someone might be asking a genuine question. But because we have the knowledge we begin to think How can that person not know the answer?
- Another type of arrogance is when we begin to show contempt and scorn to others. It is a marvel how some people act arrogantly because of their perceived piety, while the Prophet SAW himself “the best of creation” remained as humble as ever.
- Boasting is another type of arrogance. Although there is a difference between being proud of your achievements and having pride over your achievements. Most of us forget that whatever it is we are boasting about is from Allah SWT. And we can lose that within splits of seconds.
- Some of us fall into arrogance because Allah has created us beautiful.
- Some of us behave kind of Arrogant because of our Lineage. There are a lot of ways one can be arrogant. Just take a moment to analyze your attitude and how you interact with people around you. How you see yourself.
Signs and Symptoms of Arrogance
- You regard yourself as good and only see your good attributes.
- And dislike it when anyone advises you or gives you constructive criticism.
- Everything should be about you and you alone.
- You feel sad and stressed when someone else is praised not you.
- Your beauty alone should be praised.
Treatment for Arrogance
You need to constantly keep your heart and soul in check. Ponder a lot on the nature of this fleeting world. We need to purify and cleanse our hearts off this spiritual aliment.
- Know yourself well.
- Remind yourself that nations far superior to you have been destroyed due to their pride.
- Remember death.
- Take account of yourself, remind yourself of your sins and weaknesses.
- Modify the tone and Manner with which you speak to people.
- Treat people you see as inferior to you with respect.
- Remember your origins.
- Study the life of Rasulullah SAW.
- Engage in a lot of acts of humility.
- Be the first to give salam to people you meet.
- Make a lot of Du’a to Allah SWT.
- View others as better than you.
Arrogance can bring down the most powerful of all people. Often, we see the signs of arrogance when individuals feel they deserve more or better. Or when individuals are ego dystonic feeling everyone else is the problem not them. Arrogance is the causes of a lot of illnesses, so working on this illness can help work on many others.
May Allah protect us from falling into the trap of pride and arrogance. How else do you think we can treat and cure arrogance? Would love to hear from you in the comment section below.